Original designer, E.J. McCudden, started the project as the Provincial Office Building in 1954. McCudden is the predecessor of the current firm of pmgm architecture ltd. The original design was a T-shaped building on the south edge of Wascana Park, and was actually in the outskirts of the south part of the City, at the last bus stop. The front entry had a circular front drive to accommodate the parking and the trolley bus turn-around. In 1956 the project had an addition to create the H-shape that is now the current configuration.

pmgm architecture ltd. was involved in a variety of renovations and during one assessment, presented the resurrected Master Plan to close in the H-shape to a square building with internal courtyards.